Lower Valley Water Users Association Has Levels of Haloacetic Acids above Drinking Water Standards


Our water system recently violated a drinking water standard. Although this is not an emergency, as our customers, you have a right to know what happened, what you should do, and what we are doing to correct this situation.


We routinely monitor for the presence of drinking water contaminants. Testing results show that our system exceeds the standard or maximum contaminant level (MCL), for Haloacetic Acids. The standard for Haloacetic Acids is 0.060 mg/L. The average level of Haloacetic Acids over the last quarter is shown in the table below:


Sample Location

Sample Date

Quarter & Year

HAA5 LRAA (mg/L)

TTHM-1, 154 RD 6480




HAA5-1, 154 RD 6480






What should I do?

  • There is nothing you need to do. You do not need to boil your water or take corrective actions.  However, if you have specific health concerns, consult your doctor.
  • If you have a severely compromised immune system, have an infant, are pregnant, or are elderly, you may be at increased risk and should seek advice from your health care providers about drinking this water.


What does this mean?

This is not an emergency.  If it had been, you would have been notified within 24 hours.  However, some people who drink water containing Haloacetic Acids in excess of the MCL over many years may have an increased risk of getting cancer. Additionally, some people who drink water containing Haloacetic Acids in excess of the MCL over many years may experience problems with their liver, kidneys or central nervous systems.


What is being done?

[We have increased our settling time before we add disinfection and decreased the time the water is in the storage tanks.  Our last HAA5 Test was 21.8 at 154 Road 6480 and 36.3 at 3215 US 64.] We are back in compliance at this time.


For more information, please contact:

Keith Lee

Lower Valley Water Users Association, NM3510324   

PO Box 193

Kirtland, NM 87417


*Please share this information with all the other people who drink this water, especially those who may not have received this notice directly (for example, people in apartments, nursing homes, schools, and businesses). You can do this by posting this notice in a public place or distributing copies by hand or mail. *